JOE Biden has revealed how he plans to tackle gun violence in the United States if elected president on November 3.
TheDemocraticnominee wants to ban assault weapons, enforce more stringent background checks, and end the sale of firearms and ammunitions online.
Joe Biden has an ambitious plan to tackle gun violence in America, which includes an assault weapons banCredit: AFP or licensors
Here's more on his blueprint to tackling America's gun problem.
What is Biden's gun control plan?
It would also close several loopholes in existing legislation, repeal a law that makes it harder to sue gunmakers and retailers when they manufacture or sell guns they should have known would have been used criminally.
Biden's plan would make sweeping changes to federal gun laws, which include universal background checksCredit: Getty Images - Getty
It would also repeal a law that makes it harder to sue gunmakers when they manufacture guns that they know would be used for criminal purposesCredit: EPA
Biden would prohibit anyone who's been convicted of a hate crime from owning or buying a gunCredit: Getty Images - Getty
Biden's proposal seeks to:
- Ban the importation, manufacture, and sale of high-capacity magazines.The ban would be designed to prevent gunmakers from flouting the law by making minor changes that don't limit the weapon's lethality.
- Reduce stockpiling of weapons.The Democrat supports legislation limiting the number of guns an individual is legally allowed to by per month to just one.
- Require background checks for all gun sales.Biden would enact a universal background check law with few exceptions like gifts between close family members. This would close the so-called "gun show and online sales loophole" Biden and PresidentBarack Obamanarrowed during their administration.
- End online sales of firearms and ammunition.The former vice president plans to enact a law that would ban all online sales of guns, ammo, kits, and gun parts.
- Close the "hate crime" loophole.Biden would prohibit anyone "who has been convicted of a misdemeanor hate crime, or received an enhanced sentence for a misdemeanor because of hate or bias in its commission" from buying or owning a gun.
The former vice president's gun control plan aims to prevent events like the Charleston shootingCredit: Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Biden claimed earlier this year that he's 'only person that has beaten the NRA nationally'Credit: Reuters
Biden called assault rifles 'a threat to national security'Credit: Getty Images - Getty
What is Joe Biden's stance on gun control?
AlthoughBiden is a gun owner himself,he's long supported a stricter interpretation of the Second Amendment.
In 1933, he voted with Democrats to place a 10-year ban on semi-automatic weapons and voted in favor of the Brady handgun bill that same year.
The Brady bill requires a five-day waiting period for gun purchases so that sellers can run a background check.
Biden criticized America's "problem with guns" in an August 2019 op-ed published in theNew York Times.